How to Replace a Lost Passport in Kenya.
Replace a lost passport in Kenya ~ First of all, a passport is a travel document issued by the government of a certain country allowing a person to travel in and out of different countries. The document entails personal details of the holder that helps in validating the identity of the holder.
Just like any other document, a passport can be easily replaced due to different reasons. Some of the reasons a passport holder can replace it is in case the document is lost or mutilated.
In addition, the document has an expiry date, if your passport has expired you’ll follow simple steps to renew it. Below we discuss the procedure and requirement of replacing a lost passport in Kenya.
Replace a Lost Passport in Kenya Procedure
1. Acquire police abstract and affidavit
The first step you take is to visit your nearest police station and report your case of whether a damaged or lost passport. The police officer will hand you a police abstract. After that, you’ll swear to an affidavit of the incident concerning the loss, theft, mutilated, or damaged passport.
2. Open an eCitizen account and fill out an Online Application form
To sign up for an eCitizen account you head to the eCitizen portal and key in your ID number, email address, and phone number to complete the sign-in process. After you have successfully registered the next step is to log in to the portal and head to the Department of Immigration Services.
In the Department and Immigration tab,
- Click on “Get Service now”
- Click on the blue button “Make Application”
- you’ll be prompted with another window where you’ll click on + sign in the passport tab
- answer the citizenship question
- choose application type whether lost, damaged, or mutilated
- You’ll be directed to a page with application guidelines and the cost of the application
- Fill in all the details required in the form and then click next
- The payment page will be displayed with the modes of payments
While applying for passport replacement, factors differ in replacement fee, the mutilated passport is different from a lost passport.
Lost passport- Ksh 12,050
Mutilated passport-Ksh 10,050
Please note using a card whether debit, credit or prepaid it attracts 2.5% more handling fees.
3. Visit an Immigration office
Once you are done with the online application form, print the filed form and the payment invoices and head to the nearest immigration offices to complete the process. Note you should appear in person
- Original birth certificate and photocopy.
- Police abstract
- An affidavit with full information of circumstances surrounding the lost passport
- Original National ID Card and a photocopy should be certified by an attorney
- Recommenders ID Card copy, the copy should be certified by an attorney
- Letter explaining how you lost the passport.
- Three Current passport-size photos.
- An eCitizen pre-filled passport application form, also include three invoices.
Please note that, the failure to include any of the mentioned documents the application won’t go through. Ensure you have all the documents before visiting the immigration center.
Once you’ve successfully completed all the due process your passport will be ready for collection in 15 working days.