How To Replace A Lost Birth Certificate In Kenya

This is a step-by-step guide to replacing a misplaced birth certificate in Kenya. A birth certificate is a vital document that validates your legal rights to all services that Kenyan citizens are entitled to.

It is used for a variety of purposes, including obtaining a National ID, applying for visas or passports, and registering for national examinations such as the KCPE and KCSE.

How To Replace A Lost Birth Certificate

There are two main methods for replacing lost birth certificates. This includes both physical and online applications.

1. Physical Application

Documents Required

  • A copy of the birth certificate or notification of birth. If you do not have the copies, you can seek assistance from your county’s civil registry office.
  • Both parents’ original ID/passport/birth certificate.
  • Copies of parents’ ID or passports. If one of your parents is deceased, you must present the death certificate.

Read How to Replace Lost TSC Certificate

Procedure for physical replacement

  • Present a copy of the birth notification to the nearest Huduma Centre or department for civil registration.
  • Those born in Nairobi County can go to the Registration of Births and Deaths office, which is located at Bishop’s Plaza, opposite Milimani Court or the Huduma Centre.
  • Visit Hass Plaza, 4th Floor, Lower Hill Road, if you were born outside of Nairobi.
  • Fill out the application form (Form B1) and submit it to the registration office along with the above-mentioned documents.
  • Pay the required fee. The fee ranges from Kshs 50 to Kshs 180.
  • When the birth certificate is ready for collection, you will be notified.

Read How to Replace a Lost Passport in Kenya.

2. Online Application

Procedure for online replacement

  • Enter the ecitizen portal.
  • Navigate to the civil registration department and select Get Service. Make an application and then choose ‘birth certificate’.
  • Follow the directions provided.
  • Proceed to pay the required fee or payment. The fee is approximately Kshs 180 and can be paid via Mpesa.
  • Confirm your payment before submitting your application.
  • Download the application invoice, then submit a copy to the Civil Registration
  • Department, which is located at ACK Bishop House, Bishop’s Road, off Ngong Road.