How To Replace A Lost Birth Certificate In Kenya
This is a step-by-step guide to replacing a misplaced birth certificate in Kenya. A birth certificate is a vital document that validates your legal rights to all services that Kenyan citizens are entitled to.
It is used for a variety of purposes, including obtaining a National ID, applying for visas or passports, and registering for national examinations such as the KCPE and KCSE.
How To Replace A Lost Birth Certificate
There are two main methods for replacing lost birth certificates. This includes both physical and online applications.
1. Physical Application
- A copy of the birth certificate or notification of birth. If you do not have the copies, you can seek assistance from your county’s civil registry office.
- Both parents’ original ID/passport/birth certificate.
- Copies of parents’ ID or passports. If one of your parents is deceased, you must present the death certificate.
Read How to Replace Lost TSC Certificate
Procedure for physical replacement
- Present a copy of the birth notification to the nearest Huduma Centre or department for civil registration.
- Those born in Nairobi County can go to the Registration of Births and Deaths office, which is located at Bishop’s Plaza, opposite Milimani Court or the Huduma Centre.
- Visit Hass Plaza, 4th Floor, Lower Hill Road, if you were born outside of Nairobi.
- Fill out the application form (Form B1) and submit it to the registration office along with the above-mentioned documents.
- Pay the required fee. The fee ranges from Kshs 50 to Kshs 180.
- When the birth certificate is ready for collection, you will be notified.
Read How to Replace a Lost Passport in Kenya.
2. Online Application
Procedure for online replacement
- Enter the ecitizen portal.
- Navigate to the civil registration department and select Get Service. Make an application and then choose ‘birth certificate’.
- Follow the directions provided.
- Proceed to pay the required fee or payment. The fee is approximately Kshs 180 and can be paid via Mpesa.
- Confirm your payment before submitting your application.
- Download the application invoice, then submit a copy to the Civil Registration
- Department, which is located at ACK Bishop House, Bishop’s Road, off Ngong Road.