How to Pay HELB Loan Through Mpesa
One of the loans that you are obligated to pay once you graduate from a Kenyan University or College is the HELB Loan. Paying HELB is not optional but a must and in this article, we highlight the procedure on how to pay HELB Loan through M-Pesa.
Before we dive deeper into the payment methods, let’s first highlight what HELB is. Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) is a state-owned statutory body established in 1995 and operates under the Ministry of Education.
The institution is mandated to give educational loans to higher-learning students to facilitate their education. Once the students qualify to access the funds they are supposed to start paying one year after they have graduated whether employed or not.
Please note your academic certificate can’t be withdrawn due to lack of payment. However, if the grace period of the one year ends the institution will start adding fines to your existing amount.
According to their policy, their fines stand at 5000 Ksh per month, in case you decline to pay for a year your fine bill will be 60, 000. Additionally, while applying for a government job one of the documents you need to produce is the HELB clearance certificate. This means the loan payment benefits you as an individual and also creates a good credit history.
In case you are wondering where to start before the fining start, well, no need to panic because we have all the information you need for you to start the repayment process.
Below is how to pay HELB Loan through M-Pesa
Pay Helb Loan Through M-Pesa (Money Transfer)
- The first step is to Contact HELB customer care using (+254711052000)
- Notify customer care that you want to start paying the loan so that you don’t get fined
- After that start the process
- On your phone go to STK or Sim tool Kit and Select Mpesa
- Open the Mpesa Menu
- Select the “Lipa na Mpesa” option
- Select the “Paybill” option menu
- Under “business number” Enter paybill number (200800)
- Under “account number” enter your valid National ID number (note this serves as your account number)
- After that enter the amount you wish to pay
- Then Enter your 4-digit mpesa pin and press “ok”
- Confirm details and wait for a confirmation text.
Pay Through M-Pesa (Money Transfer for Employee)
if you are employed by a company the payment method may differ from that of an employed person. Below is step by step on how to make these payments.
- The first step is to Upload the remittance schedule
- Then generate the E-Slip
- On your phone open the STK/Sim tool to access the M-pesa menu
- Select the Lipa na Mpesa option
- Select Paybill
- Enter 200800 as the business number
- Under account number enter the generated E-Slip number
- Enter your 4-digit Mpesa pin and proceed
- You will receive a confirmation message from Mpesa and Helb.